Thursday 5 June 2014

Crockpot Mango Coconut Chicken Curry

The last couple of days, I have felt better than I have in years. Literally, YEARS. Other than the invisible bugs crawling inside my skin, but whatever.

I vacuumed the entire downstairs this morning (that might not sound like a lot, but trust me...) and then started the crockpot for dinner.

A church friend posted a recipe that looked amazing a few days ago, and I decided to give it a try. Howeve
r, me being me, and having a deep seated aversion to following rules, I changed the recipe a bit. It smells mind-blowingly good. There's your word for the day: mind-blowingly.

So without further adieu, if anyone wants some culinary inspiration, here is what's cooking at Stagg-Wilson Manor today:

Crockpot Mango Coconut Chicken Curry

8 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
1 can coconut milk
1 can coconut cream (plus half a can I had in the fridge)
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. honey (I would omit the honey next time bc I don't like sweet main dishes, and it's not Paleo)
1tsp. fresh minced ginger
3 tsp. curry power
2 jars of Patak's Coconut Peanut Curry Sauce (just because it was there)
Salt to taste
1 cup mango, diced (I used frozen)

Garnish:
1 cup roasted cashews
Fresh cilantro for garnish

I stirred al the spices and liquids together and poured it over the frozen chicken and mango in the crockpot and turned it to Low to cook for about 6 hours. We'll have it over rice, topped with the cashews and cilantro.

The original recipe called for a can of pineapple chunks, but I felt like it was already on the sweet side as it was. It also called for a sliced bulb of fennel but I passed on that because, well, gross.

Tonight is Caiti's grad commencement, and I have a full day of job hunting, chiropractor, naturopath, picking kids up from school, picking big kid up from work, and lounging about in my anti-gravity recliner in my beautiful back yard that my awesome husband has been working on every evening for weeks. You know you're jealous. 

Thanking God for a day with a lot less pain and a lot more mobility. We just don't know what a gift good health is until we don't have it any more. So my heart is truly grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment