Thursday 5 June 2014

Remember When the Indonesians Fought the Jamaicans in the Asian Wars? Yeah, Me Neither.

When I'm old and in the nursing home, and I'm sitting in my wheelchair laughing to myself all day long, it won't be because I've finally lost my mind, it will be because I'm remembering conversations like the one we had on the way to school this morning.

Sara (7): "Oh my GOSH, this sock is longer than the other one! Aaaaahhhhh!!!"

Zach (10): (calmly) "Be quiet, Sara. That is not a crisis. The Asian War was a crisis."

Caitlin(18): (disdainfully) "The Asian War. Which Asian War? Iwo Jima? Vietnam? Korean?"

Zach: (with the air of deep confidence for which he is famous) "Indonesian."

Everyone looks at me to see if that's even a thing. I keep my face carefully blank.

Caitlin: "Indonesian, huh? Who did they fight?"

Zach: (still calm, almost bored) "The Jamaicans."

All eyes on me, except Zach's. He is calmly looking out the window, trying to maintain his air of authority.

Me: "I think it's clear your brother is never going to be a world renowned historian."

Zach: "I'm hurt."

1 comment: